Travis Irrigation Plans and Supply


If you've benefited from the help we've provided on our site but you choose not to purchase your parts from us, we hope you will consider making a small donation to help offset the cost of maintaining this site. To make a donation, you can click on a button below and follow the on-screen instructions.
The staff at

Fitting FAQs

We sincerely hope you will find helpful information in these pages. Be sure to check our indexed Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Answers pages first to see if your questions have already been answered. If you can't find the answer you are looking for, submit your question to and we will consider including your question in our FAQs pages. Unfortunately, due to the volume of questions we receive, we can't answer them all personally, but we'll let you know if we decide to include your question and answer on our site.

How do I select the right type and size fitting?
Whenever possible, use a fitting with exactly the right inlet and outlet sizes. You may need to glue a reducing bushing in one or more connections to fit the different sizes of pipe you have. Don't use an undersized tee, and then connect it to a larger pipe with a reducing bushing and coupling. That's a lot more work, uses more fittings, probably costs more, and is unwise from a hydraulic standpoint. Always start by selecting a fitting that is the correct size for the pipe supplying the water, and use reducing bushings on the outlet(s) of the fitting if necessary.
What the heck is a 1 x 3/4 x 1/2 SST tee?
The first and second dimensions are the "run" dimensions- the two ends of the tee as if you are looking straight through it. The third dimension is the side connection. "S" refers to slip or glue connections, and "T" refers to threaded connections.
Do I need to use both primer and glue on the fitting and the pipe?
Yes. Read the excellent instructions on the glue and primer container for more information. Be sure you get the right kind of glue for the type of pipe you are using.
What's all this sexist talk about male and female fittings and nip ples?
If we called them "outside" and "inside" fittings, some people would wonder if the "outside" fitting had threads on the outside, or was the piece on the outside of the joint. Most other alternate names have equally confusing interpretations. Webster's defines a nip ple to be a short piece of threaded pipe. We aren't trying to be sexist, we're just using historical terms in order to be as clear as possible. Most of our customers are men, but some of the best installations we've seen were done by women!

back to FAQ subjects

   Search this site